Monday, January 4, 2010

Fairly Topical Movie Review: "Sherlock Holmes"

So on New Years Day I was finally able to convince my wife to use the movie gift card that we got for Christmas to go see Sherlock Holmes with me, it was the only think playing that we could even come close to agreeing on. I wanted to see Avatar, she wanted to see New Moon, this was our compromise. Though when we got to the theater and saw the line for the Avatar 3D showing, I was glad that we made the choice we did. I think I’ll wait for Avatar to come out on DVD, that way I can make fun of the blue cat people in the privacy of my own home.

I had read the complaints about the movie online before it even came out. Sherlock Holmes isn’t supposed to be an action hero, they said. Guy Ritchie uses slow motion in his action sequences too much, they said. Have I mentioned before how much I hate people who shit on movies before they are even out yet? Well, I do. All of the actual reviews I read were pretty positive, so I was excited to see the movie.

The opening sequence sets the tone for the movie. There’s good action, we get some insight into Holmes’ skills and methodology, we’re introduced to Watson and shown that he’s pretty badass in his own right. I particularly enjoyed Jude Law’s performance as Watson, which I’ve heard is more true to the book then the past movies have portrayed him. Sadly, I’m not as familiar with the original Holmes stories as I would like to be. Before this movie the closest I came was Data’s portrayal on Star Trek the Next Generation, and watching House.

Speaking of House, I had always heard that the character was based on Sherlock Holmes, but with this movie I can really see it. Especially in the relationship between Holmes and Watson which mirrors that of House and Wilson. Watson finds himself caring for Holmes, putting up with his eccentricities even as he’s trying to escape from him, but he’s pulled back in time and time again because of his own desire for adventure. Their relationship is definitely at the center of this movie, as they move from one clue to the next, and from one action set piece to the next.

Since this movie was advertised as an action movie, I was pleasantly surprised by how good the story was. It was a genuine mystery, with shady characters with unknown agendas, interesting clues for Holmes to decipher, surprising twists, and a fun action packed climax. And of course, hints toward a possible sequel. All in all, I’d say it was a pretty fun ride and I’d recommend it.

My Netflix Rating: Four out of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment