Saturday, November 28, 2009

Happy Day After the Day After Thanksgiving!

I've been thinking about traditions recently. The good, the bad, and the tradition for the sake of tradition. When I was a kid, Thanksgiving meant the whole extended family would get together at my grandmother's house or my uncle's house. We'd watch football and make small talk with cousins that I got to see only a few times a year. We'd gorge ourselves on turkey and stuffing, then fall asleep on the couch watching more football. Then we'd wake up and have pie. Then we'd wrap up a plate of leftovers with foil and go home and call it a day. But now that I'm an adult, getting the extended family together is much more difficult. I've got a family of my own now, complete with inlaws, and so does my sister. So now we all kind of do our own think and maybe we get together for dessert or something. So some traditions stay, like the turkey and the stuffing, and others go. I would have thought that I would miss those other traditions, but I really don't. It turns out that making new traditions is just as fun.

Case in point. I didn't watch any football on Thanksgiving at all. For a couple reasons. One, my Eagles weren't playing, so I really didn't care about any of the other games. And watching a football game that you don't care about with a room full of uncles and cousins is one thing, watching it alone is boring. Plus, I'm tired of watching the Lions and the Cowboys play every year. That's definitely one tradition that can end. And no, I didn't watch the parade either. I partook in a new holiday tradition. The holiday cable TV marathon.

TVLand had a "Brady Bunch" marathon. A&E had a "First 48" marathon. The Travel Channel had a "_____ Paradise" marathon (Donut Paradise, Deep Fried Paradise, Steak Paradise, etc.) And the one that I settled in with, Discovery Channel had a "Mythbusters" marathon. So I spent my Turkey day watching Adam and Jaime blow shit up. So what did you guys do?

2 comments:

  1. After a few years of not doing much of anything (parents gone up to my aunt's, May working, leaving me with the girls) my brother hosted Thanksgiving this year. Me, my dad, and my brother went up to the rehab center to visit my Mom (recovering from a fall on election day), then went back to his house for dinner. The rest of the day was spent watching TV and chasing down Chelsea and infuriating Taryn and Jenna by changing the shoes on their Bratz dolls.

    Dinner itself was good, although much of it was spent trying to stop Chelsea from dumping a bowl of string beans on her head.

    Fun!

    Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully Nikki is past the stage where she dumps food on her head. She is however at the stage where she won't eat anything you put in front of her unless it's macaroni and cheese, which is becoming increasingly frustrating.

    Glad to hear the girls are doing well. Hope your mom feels better.

    ReplyDelete