Thursday, March 4, 2010

Stand-Up Comedy Review: “Louis CK: Chewed Up”

If I had to make a list of my favorite comedians working today (and believe me, I’ve tried), Louis CK would definitely be near the top. I first became aware of Louis years ago, from HBO and comedy central. His act then wasn’t as personal as it is today, but he still had a distinctive way of looking at things and an absurd rawness that was very funny. He’s written for David Letterman, Chris Rock, and of course his own show on HBO “Lucky Louie”, which was a much more honest and unique take on the sitcom format. Too unique perhaps, as it was canceled after only one season. Louis is also a regular guest on my favorite radio show, Opie and Anthony.



There’s an honesty in Louis’ comedy that you don’t see very often. It’s almost cliché these days to say that a comedian is ‘outrageous’ or ‘tells it like it is’. So much of that is false, forced shock that comics try to pass off as jokes. But when you look deeper, there really isn’t anything funny there (I’m looking at you, Carlos Mencia). Louis CK is the only comedian that I’ve seen that is so raw and honest about his own life and family. He’s middle-aged, married (now divorced) with two kids, and he talks candidly about how much his life sucks. As a parent, it’s surprising to hear someone give voice to those darker things that we sometimes think and feel and are embarrassed by. And more importantly, he makes it funny.



But family isn’t the only thing that Louis focuses his ire on. He talks about getting older, and how at a certain point in your life doctors stop trying to fix the things that go wrong with your body. Your ankle hurts? You didn’t twist it, it’s just old and shitty now and you have to live with it. He talks about language and about society, and with everything he touches on there’s a truth and a frankness that’s both refreshing and hilarious. You get the sense that he doesn’t talk the way he does for shock value, but because he’s just too tired and world weary to be tactful.

“Chewed Up” is available on DVD and to view instantly on Netflix. Check it out for yourself, you won’t be sorry.

Netflix Rating: Four out of Five Stars

2 comments:

  1. I had to remind myself that he's not the musician.

    Maybe Louis C.K. can tour with Andrew W.K.?

    Maybe I'll listen to those clips later, but frankly, the description of "raw and honest" is something of a turn-off to me. I'm not sure I want to hear about how crappy his life is, even if he makes dark jokes about it. I guess I like a little more upbeat humor.

    Yeah, maybe I'll go watch some Carrot Top...

    Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I may have made him sound a little too dour. He really is funny. Maybe I'll find someone a little more upbeat next time. Not Carrot Top though, I have to draw the line somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete